Bleach is a common household cleaner that is probably in your cupboard right now. From doing laundry to disinfecting surfaces, bleach is a multipurpose product that comes in handy. In case of a mice infestation, you might be wondering- does bleach kill mice? Learning about the pros and cons will help you make an informed decision. Bleach is such a harsh chemical, so you need to exercise caution when you use it. This article will cover everything you need to know regarding bleach and getting rid of mice.
Bleach Is Toxic
So, does bleach kill mice? When consumed by any living being, bleach is proven deadly. It takes different quantities to react in a way that is fatal, but it can be very dangerous when ingested. For this reason, bleach will absolutely kill mice when they drink it. Since they are small creatures, it will not take much. The trick is getting them to consume it. Since there is such a strong chemical scent, mice are not likely to drink it on their own. They will probably be repulsed by the smell.
People generally opt for a poison made specifically for mice. This is because the poison contains other ingredients that will actually entice mice to eat it. Since it masks the scent of poison, mice are far more likely to eat poison or walk into bait stations than they are to consume bleach that is left around your home.
Uses for Bleach
Even though bleach is not very suitable for killing mice, you can use it in other ways when dealing with an infestation. Bleach is great for use in areas where mice leave droppings. These droppings contain harmful bacteria that can make you sick. You can sweep up the droppings and then use bleach to disinfect the surface. This will ensure you are thoroughly cleaning the area and are not putting you or your family at risk of getting sick.
In general, you probably do not want to use bleach to kill any type of rodent or pest because it just will not be as effective as you need it to be. To quickly get rid of any mice in or around your home, you should use a method that is targeted to handle the problem. This will give you faster and more convenient results. If you do use bleach, you have to keep in mind that you will need to dispose of dead mice that have also ingested bleach. This becomes similar to a double health hazard.
Any time you do use bleach to handle a mice infestation, make sure that you place the bleach in an area that is not dangerous to your family. If you have pets or children, they should not have easy access to bleach. Since it is toxic, you do have to be extra cautious. You also need to make sure you place it in an area where it will be contained.
It can be very easy to knock over a small dish containing bleach, and this can also hurt you if it simply touches your skin. You need to be very careful, and make sure you clean up the mice as soon as they consume the bleach and die. Letting them sit for a prolonged time will expose you to harmful and lingering bacteria.
When working with bleach, you also need to make sure you are not inhaling the fumes. This can make you very ill if you do not wear a protective mask when you use it frequently. You should also protect your eyes with glasses because the fumes can get into them as well. Even if you do not get sick, it is likely the bleach will give you a headache because the fumes are very strong.
No matter how you choose to deal with your mice problem, you now know for certain the answer to the question- does bleach kill mice? It might not be the most conventional or safest way, but it is still something you can turn to if you have exhausted all other options or if it is the only thing you have at the moment.
Learn more about mice and pest control from our website.